Construction Technology is a full time introductory program with classes designed to acquaint students with the major roles and career opportunities available within the construction trades involved in the building of a residential dwelling.
While carpentry skills are emphasized, other fields explored include concrete, roofing, insulation, drywall, painting, and exposure to some aspects of commercial construction. Brief explorations of electrical, plumbing and heating & air conditioning may be part of this course. Students will be involved in building a home in a nearby neighborhood as an urban development project.
Students are expected to work in a diligent and safe manner, wear clothing appropriate to the task and be prepared to work outside in all weather. In addition, students are responsible to complete significant written assignments supplementing each concept/unit.
Areas of Study*:
- Students will gain knowledge of building materials and learn technical information related to the building industry.
- Students will develop marketable skills and experience working with the tools used in the building industry.
Students will be introduced to:
- Blue Print Reading
- Concrete Construction
- Floor, Wall, and Roof Framing
- Building Materials
- Interior Trim
- Residential Construction
- Commercial Construction
- Windows and Doors
- Wall Coverings
- Steel Building Construction
Entry Level Employment Opportunities
- Construction Laborers
- Concrete Workers
- Iron Workers
* Instruction subject to change, as determined by FTC.